South Asian weddings are known for their vibrant and lively atmosphere, and music plays an important role in creating this joyful ambiance. From traditional classical melodies to modern upbeat songs, there are many different types of music that can be incorporated into a South Asian wedding. If you’re planning a South Asian wedding, here’s a guide to traditional and contemporary options for your wedding music.
- Bhangra – A lively and energetic Punjabi folk music that is perfect for the Sangeet or Mehndi ceremony.
- Dhol – A percussion instrument commonly used in North Indian weddings to create an upbeat and lively atmosphere.
- Shehnai – A type of wind instrument that is commonly used in North Indian weddings for the Baraat ceremony.
- Nadaswaram – A traditional South Indian wind instrument commonly used in Tamil and Telugu weddings.
- Gujarati Lagna Geet – Traditional folk music from the state of Gujarat that is often played during the wedding ceremony.
- Bollywood – Popular film songs from Hindi movies, with many upbeat and romantic options that are perfect for the Sangeet and reception.
- Fusion Music – A blend of traditional South Asian music with Western genres, such as jazz or hip hop, to create a unique and modern wedding music experience.
- Electronic Dance Music (EDM) – Fast-paced and upbeat electronic music that is perfect for the Baraat and reception.
- Spanish Music – A mix of traditional and modern Spanish music that can add a lively and upbeat element to the Sangeet and reception.
- Western Pop Music – A mix of popular Western music that can be used to add a contemporary and modern feel to the Sangeet and reception.
Choosing the right music for your South Asian wedding is important to create the right atmosphere and keep guests entertained throughout the event. You can mix and match different types of traditional and contemporary music to create a unique and personalized experience. Make sure to discuss your music preferences with your wedding DJ or band to ensure that they understand your vision and can help you create the perfect wedding playlist.
In conclusion, South Asian wedding music offers a wide range of options that can cater to different tastes and preferences. Whether you prefer traditional classical music or modern upbeat songs, there are many options to choose from. By combining traditional and contemporary music, you can create a unique and unforgettable wedding experience that reflects your personal style and vision.